Thursday, April 13, 2017

What a suprise



Late in the evening, the day before my eighth Birthday.

 Mother ask me to go to the store for her, to get some  baking soda and baking powder for bread making .

 She was completely out of the two, and it was something she needed desperately to finish  with her baking.

The little family store wasn't far away and was owned and operated by Willey Sherman, a close family friend.

Willey would let you buy things on credit when cash was low.

Mother said to tell Willey to put the items on our tab she would pay for them latter.

And for me to hurry back, it would soon be dark.

Yes Momma I replied , as I hurriedly  left for the store.

Barefooted and with my trusty little sling shot, my choice of weapon if I needed one along the way.

I ran all the way to the store , hardly breathing hard in doing so.

I couldn't do that today.

 Willey gathered the items I needed, I signed for them and was soon on my way home.

I was running along at a pretty good pace through the wooded area that I had come through earlier.

By now it was much darker, making it hard for me to see.

I heard something break a tree branch, and coming straight toward me, I  froze in my tracks .

Low and behold it was Reni my German shepherd dog who had followed me to the store, with out my knowledge.

 My heart was in my throat for awhile, as he ran up to greet me.

I was so thankful it was Reni, instead of a bear or something else, of which my sling shot wouldn't have been any match for.

When I reached home and told mother about it, she was thankful all ended well, and promised not to send me to the store anymore so late.

This was one of the stories I still remember today, some 67 years after it happened.

Reni my best buddy, I loved that dog.

Even though he scared me half to death that day.

Until next time, God Bless.


My Meditation by,  Coleman





Dog Patch Zoo located in the community of Flat Lick, Kentucky, some  seven miles north of  the city of London.

The Zoo and the  adjoining Trading Post was established,  maybe around 1950 and grew to be a well loved stop for travelers,using U.S. 25 .
 


With the creation of Interstate 75, the trading post was relocated to exit 41 of Intestate 75, in London, Kentucky...its current home today.
I remember going to the Dog patch Zoo while it was in Flat Lick, to see a large Alligator they were advertising they had.
I wasn't the only one interested in seeing the Alligator it seems,  shortly after I arrived, a School Bus load of Kids  pulled up.
The kids were having  an enormous amount of fun getting off the bus, and thrilled to be attending the Zoo  it was oblivious by the excitement on their faces.
Arthur Chestnut sort of a vagabond to the area; had appointed himself to be acting director to the Zoo that day.
Arthur was directing traffic to the Alligator site,  seems like he was about as excited as the kids and my self, to be seeing a large real live Alligator up close for the first time .
Since moving to London....  The Dog Patch Trading Post...  became known as... "Dog Patch Barn"... and has been home to some of the most unusual gag gifts and hillbilly tourist tack imaginable .
There are those who embrace "Dog Patches" hillbilly heritage and then there are those who would seek to ignore it.
Guess I'm in the former group I've always enjoyed visiting the Barn to see the latest gifts and gags.



Until Next Time.  God Bless.
My Meditations by,   Coleman






Dog Patch Zoo located in the community of Flat Lick, Kentucky, some  seven miles north of  the city of London.
The zoo and adjoining Trading Post was established,  maybe around 1950 and grew to be a well loved stop for travelers,using U.S. 25 . 
With the creation of Interstate 75, the trading post was relocated to exit 41 of Intestate 75, in London, Kentucky...its current home today.
 I remember going to the Zoo during the time it was still in Flat Lick, to see a large Alligator they had there.
I wasn't the only one interested in seeing the Alligator it seems,  shortly after I arrived, a School Bus load of Kids  pulled up.
They were having  an enormous amount of fun , excited to be attending the Zoo  it was oblivious by the excitement on their faces.
Arthur Chestnut sort of a community vagabond had appointed himself as acting director to the Zoo.  Arthur was directing traffic to the Alligator, he was about as excited as the kids to be seeing a large Alligator up close for the first time .
Since moving to London....  The Dog Patch Trading Post...later  became known as... "Dog Patch Barn"... and has been home to some of the most unusual gag gifts and hillbilly tourist tack imaginable .
There are those who embrace "Dog Patches" hillbilly heritage and then there are those who would seek to ignore it.
Guess I'm in the former group I've always enjoyed visiting the Barn to see the latest gifts and gags.  As well as my visit to the zoo when it was in Flat Lick.

                                                          Page 134





Possum Trot church was what you would envision if you were told to imagine a country church — white, wooden, and with a roof coming to a point on the top.
 Inside were wooden floors and wooden pews, the place smelling like old wood and old Bibles.
 Behind the pulpit hung a board where someone had tallied weekly attendance and offerings.
 The congregation , made up mostly of grandmothers,  grandfathers, and a few young people met  there to worship, when they had services.
Possum Trot  Church was located on top of  a  hill in the Laurel River and  Campground  community of Laurel county Kentucky .
In the 1940’s, most church restrooms were still outhouse, including Possum Trot's.

But that was no big deal for people living in that era.

They didn't miss something they'd never had.

I was about grown before we got plumbing and a inside Potty for our home.
Dad and Mother took us to Possum Trot for a week-end revival one time.
We filled up one of the small pews ,on the Friday night we attended.
The preacher proclaimed in his message; "We were all born sinners, and needed to repent ,or we would face gloom and  doom in the days ahead if we didn't."
Needless to say he didn't get to many "Amen's" on the subject but  everyone enjoyed his  preaching.
Possum Troy Church has been established  for a number of years  as, part of the Laurel River and Campground community .
Much could be written I suppose about  Possum Trot's, quaint little Church and those early congregations, like the one  we worshiped with .

Perhaps one day someone will write about the Churches history, its Legion, and how it got its unusual name.

I hope so, and that they will share it; with the rest of the world.

I can attest; to the friendly people there, and the warm reception we received on our visit .
They treated you like family, and that made Possum Trot special to me.
Until Next Time.  God Bless.
My Meditation by, Coleman






No comments:

Post a Comment