Saturday, April 1, 2017

Turning 18


When I turned 18  as all males I had to register with the Selective Service .

That office was created in 1917, during World War I to keep troops available for military requirements .

Failing to register or comply with the Military Selective Service Act.

 Was a felony punishable by a fine of up to $250,000 or a prison term of up to five years, or a combination of both.

At least that's what my my grandpa Parman had told me about the matter .

 Whether that was true or not,I didn't want  to take a chance  on not reporting , I made sure I went when I  reached 18.

I drove myself, to the Selective Service office .

Being a bit shy and nervous, I was  kind of dreading the trip

The office I went to, was located in London  Kentucky.

After registering, my classification turned out to be, 1-A .

 1-A meaning "Available immediately for military service."


I pretty well knew what that meant, I might have to go into the service anytime  , if they needed me.

  I received  acknowledgement of my  Registration a few days later in the mail.

  After that I never heard  from the office any more  for awhile.


I was hoping maybe they had forgotten about me.

But knew that was probably wishful thinking.

At 21  I got reclassified again to, 3-A Registrant with a child or children; or Registrant deferred by reason of extreme hardship to dependents.

 After I reached 3-A haven't heard from them since, (yea).


Until Next Time.  God Bless. 

My Meditations by,  Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment