Saturday, April 1, 2017

My Barlow

 A  Barlow is a must for all young boys growing up on the farm.

I received my first one on my 10th birthday.

 I had been wanting a knife for  a long time, and it came at just the right time.

  For doing a project I was working on; making  myself a sling-shot.

I borrowed Dad's sharping  stone to make sure it was sharp and ready for the task.

I'd watched Him sharpen his knife's before and I was pretty sure I could do it.

Must have taken me a good half hour to get my Barlow to pass the sharp test.

The test dad used to prove a sharp was sharp.

 Was when completely sharpened the knife had to shave the hairs on your arm, and cut  through a sheet of paper with out tearing it .

After my knife was  finally sharp the next thing was to find  me a dog-wood tree with just the perfect fork .

After some careful consideration I found just the right one .

With my Barlow... I was able to whittle it into shape in no time.

Now  my forks were ready for the strips of rubber , I'd cut from an ole inter tube .

Attached to the strips of rubber were a leather pad.


Made from the tongue of a discarded shoe to hold the stone or marble I would be using with my sling-shot.

 I  cut the strips of rubber with Momma's new scissors, with out asking  permission.

 I had no Idea rubber would make them dull.

  Soon found that out,  when Mother  tried to use them for something.

 It was at that time I fessed up to my mistake .

Dad bailed me out, and re-sharpened the scissors for her .

As I finished up my project I was  proud of my work , (except for the dulling of Mothers scissors).

Don't know if any of you have ever owned a Barlow  knife or not... if you have... you can probably identify with the excitement I had using and owning mine. 

Until Next Time.   God Bless.

My Meditations by,  Coleman



No comments:

Post a Comment