Saturday, April 1, 2017

June Meeting




The first Sunday in June was a special occasion for our home Church, Union Baptist.

It was called "June Meeting" by everyone in the community, and hardly any one ever  missed going .

The special thing about this Sunday, was after the sermon had been delivered, there was a foot washing service.

The women sit on one side of the Church, and washed  each other feet,  while the Men sit on the other side washing the Brothers feet . 

For me as a youngster I didn't fully grasp the Biblical association of this and ask Mother what it meant for them to do that. 

She read me this scripture found in the Gospel of John to help me better understand.

Jesus poured water into a basin, and began to wash the disciples' feet, and to wipe them with the servant’s towel wherewith He was girded.  Jesus said, If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet, ye also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you

Don't know if they still do the foot washing ceremony at "Union Baptist Church " or not.


Don't know if they still have "The June Meeting" day  or not.

Been so long ago since I attended.

But until this very day I can remember attending this little country Church at Union,  and watching the foot washing ceremony.

Until next time,  God Bless.


My Meditations by,   Coleman  

No comments:

Post a Comment