Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Rock Hunting

As a kid I loved going out into the woods, the  fields and streams  staying for hours hunting for, rocks, petrified wood , Agate, and Indian relics .

Flint rock was pretty common around our home if you knew what you were looking for.

Flint rock is;  a very hard, gray black looking  rock that makes sparks when struck with steel.

Petrified wood; not so common and more rare to find,   is   the result of a tree or tree-like plants having completely transitioned to stone by the process of mineralization.

Agate;  a rare find but one you  kept looking for every time you went out  hoping to get lucky  Agate a beautiful specimen of red, black, yellow, and gray quartz  most often found in creek beds.

Indian relics: ...arrow heads...Tomahawks...spearheads... and home made tools....   where items  you'd find found about any where  the Indians  had been.

Finding any of these treasures was high on my list of things to look for.

On one occasion, cousin Rodney went with me. and we hit the jackpot.

 We found a cliff  with lots of chipped flint stone,  scattered underneath ,  fragments  were laying like the Indians left them, from the best we could determine. 

We picked out pieces from the fragments, and were fortunate enough  to find a couple perfect  arrowheads.

Needless to say we got rock fever for awhile after that.

My collection of treasured finds grew over the years, and my enthusiasm  for hunting lasted well into my teens.   

But as age sit in, I seemed to have lost my seal for hunting.

And all those treasured finds I found have gotten lost for one reason or  the other over the years, not sure about cousin Rodney's.

 Kind of wish I'd held on to mine in a way.

When you are young everything is an adventure, when you get older things change .

Until Next Time.   God Bless.

My Meditations by,  Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment