Friday, March 24, 2017

Grandpa's Victrola


Fondest memories of an old " RCA Victor  Victrola" player...and the image of its white-and-black dog... logo , send my mind back to yesterday.

The memory of the Victrola started  when I was a young lad, visiting  my grandparents, Elhannon and Pheobie Schell.

 The RCA player was one of Grandpa's  prized processions.

Grandpa loved his new player very much; when I walked in to visit that day, he wanted to demonstrate it for me.


As you might imagine my answer was an astounding "Yes" to his proposal.

Grandpa said he would need help with  preparation.

And asked if I would  be kind enough to be his crank winder, for the player.

Back then before electric motors were available, the player needed to be wound up, to spin the turn table  .

With just a few cranks I had  the player ready for action.

Grandpa put a fresh needle in the head of the player.


Placing it on a spinning Gene Autrys record .

 "By the way" Gene was Grandpa's favorite cowboy singer.


A
utry became famous for his cowboy singing,(Don't think Grandpa had any idea that would happen at the time.

 Besides singing his Cowboy classics, Autry also penned such Yuletide standards as "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Raindeer," "Here Comes Santa Claus" and "Frosty the Snowman."


 Whether Autry was singing Christmas carols or "Deep in the Heart of Texas".

 He had a way of capturing  your heart with his voice, and his western  style singing.

 I was truly blessed, to spent the week-end, with Grandpa and Grandma, and  get to listen to Grandpa's Victrola.

And even more blessed, to be appointed  honorable   crank winder for him .



Until Next Time.  God Bless.

My Meditations by, Coleman

 





,  

No comments:

Post a Comment