Sunday, June 26, 2016

Going bare-footed



When I was a kid, the long months of summer stretched by without the need for shoes.

 We would peel them off on the last day of school, and not put any back on, until late autumn.


All summer long, we would run around in our bare feet, walking through the springy grass, through pillows of garden dirt, over sharp sticks, even walking on gravel roads

It was fun walking on the slippery rocks in the creek, and climbing trees by gripping them with our toes.

 Our feet became like shoes themselves, hardened and able to resist any kind of puncture short of stepping on a nail or broken glass.

Nothing like going barefooted, during a fierce game of hide-and-go-seek.

Course there was a down side, to going bare-footed.


Once I was running along the hard dirt path that ran to our barn, and I stepped on a baby toad.

 My foot squished him flat, as I looked back, I saw his flat tongue protruding from his mouth, that can give you a moment of squeamishness.

And the burden of getting your foot clean again.

As I've gotten older, I miss... going bare-footed...the feeling of grass...of  that cool...feathery tickling on the arches  of your foot...as you walked through it.

And the many other good times we had,  while going bare-footed .

Children today, wear their shoes pretty much  all year long.


Missing out on a unique  childhood experience like the one we had.

 

Until Next Time.  God Bless.

My Meditations by,   Coleman

No comments:

Post a Comment