Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Daisy Red Ryder



The Red Ryder was in 1945 the best known BB gun ever built.

I received mine on Christmas day in 1948.

The rifle was a special gift every boy hopes to get for Christmas.

Of all the Christmas gifts I've received thru out the years, this one is still at the top of my list.

My Daisy Red Ryder had lever-cocking action for loading the BB's into its chamber.

The magazine I want to say probably held around 500 BB's.

Me and the rifle became good friends,  I could hit the bull's eye, on targets  made of cardboard  fairly often.

Hitting can's on top of a fence post was a little easier for me.

 I was feeling  pretty comfortable with the rifle, and  thought we were o.k.

Until one day I forgot to return the cocking lever back to its proper place.

When I pulled the trigger it slammed down on my middle finger smashing it really hard, I still have the scar from that lever today.

I kept my rifle for several years after the incident , but finally lost track of it. 

When I think about the Daisy Red Ryder today, my smashed finger still tingles a bit. 

 The strongest memories of life often come in strange and memorable  ways, this was definitely a strange and memorable one for me.

Until Next Time.   God Bless.

Coleman Schell





No comments:

Post a Comment