Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Renfro Valley "A Place Like No Other"


Renfro Valley

One of my earliest -- and most vivid -- memories of Renfro Valley, Kentucky.

Happened when I first started driving and going  places for myself.


I had always loved country music. I cannot remember a time when I was not aware of it.

Whether it was coming from my car radio while  I was driving, or coming from my uncle's fingers when he played the banjo at family gatherings.

Situated in the Cumberland Mountains of Rockcastle County, Kentucky, Renfro Valley was a sleepy  little farming town until 1939, when John Lair brought it to national prominence

Today, Renfro Valley is the music capital  of Kentucky and  known around the world.

When I went there for my first visit in the 1950'sThe "Sunday Mornin' Gatherin' was popular.

I remember attending  the Gatherin a couple times, as well as the Saturday night barn dance, I thought they both were  good and that they featured the best "Hilly-Billy and gospel music" I'd ever heard.

The Appalachian Harvest Festival, held in early October, is three days of "old timely things."  featuring... round-the-clock music... as well as mule-drawn molasses making... a wagon train... clogging show... craft demonstrations...a turkey shoot...and a popular Country Music Talent Search.

I loved attending Renfro Valley back then and still do today, I have listened to the  Sunday "Mornin Gatherin" for many years on the radio,  Renfro Valley is a place where "Time Stands Still" for me.

Until Next Time.  God Bless.

Coleman Schell

No comments:

Post a Comment