Tuesday, October 6, 2015

Stained Memories

As I look back on my life, I'm impressed with how many memories I have of childhood.

This one happened when I was 10 or 12 years old.

Fall of the year was a good time to go squirrel hunting, Hickory nuts were ripe, and squirrels  loved them.

The ground underneath the trees would be covered with shavings from the squirrels cutting them open to eat.

 If you were clever enough to slip up on them while they were eating , you had a decent chance at bagging one and bringing it home for dinner.

Usually the squirrels spotted you way before you spotted them .

And for that reason most of the time I returned home with my pockets full of hickory nuts instead of any game.

Walnuts, Hazelnuts, and beechnuts grew in the fence rows and fields near our home.

In the fall us kids would take a coffee sack made of burlap, and go hunting for them.

Around the walnut trees the ground would be covered with leaves and walnuts, we'd rake back the leaves with our hands and feet, and fill up our bag .

After gathering them, came the unpleasant task of hulling them. 

I remember how embarrassed we were to go to school afterwards with stains on our hands from the walnut juice.

The stain from the walnuts wouldn't come off with soap and water, you had to wear it off, and that took some time.

No wonder I remember those days, they were days that left stains on my overalls, my hands, and my mind .

But they were good days, and the stains worth it.

Especially when mother served some of her molasses bread, in mid winter, made with walnuts added to it. 

Until Next time.   God bless.

Coleman Schell

No comments:

Post a Comment