Monday, March 23, 2015

Berry Picking




I love berries period. whether they be strawberries, raspberries, blue berries, blackberries or what ever berry it is, if it says berries on it... there is a good chance I like it.

One of the things we did on the farm while I was growing up; was blackberry picking.

Picking time in Kentucky came around the first of July, if there was proper rain and sun for a week or so.

You knew the berries were ready to pick when they became black and would pull freely from the thorny brier plant they grew on, with only a slight pull.

If the berries are red or purple and hard to pull from the brier, they're not ripe yet.

With Blackberry picking came a few chiggers, known by some as (red bugs) so small you could barley see them with the naked eye.

These unwelcome  pest were the downside of berry picking.

They would get on your clothes from the weeds and grass; and  crawl on to your skin and attach themselves to you.

Once they were attached, you talk about scratching and digging, it reminded me of dogs with the flees when that happened.

Once the picking was over ,the berries got washed and made into blackberry jam or jelly.

Fighting the chiggers for the berries was part of the process to berry picking I reckon .

I can still feel myself scratching, just thinking about them critters,  after all these years.

Some things just seem to stick with you, berry picking and chiggers was one of them for me.

Until Next time,  God Bless.

Coleman Schell





No comments:

Post a Comment