Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Mother's Cornbread and Beans




Mother wasn't shy about a lot of  things in life, especially cooking,  when it came to making corn bread and beans, she was my favorite by far.

 She and my father had gotten married during the Great Depression, and the memory of those hard times was still raw, when I was born in 1939.

 “Many a day, corn bread and beans was all we had to eat.”

At least a couple of times a week, a big pot of pinto beans seasoned with salt pork would appear on the stove, slowly simmering down to almost mush, along with a pan of yellow corn bread, fragrant and steaming.

The family would gather around our home made dinette table, and fill our hand me down bowls and plates with beans and cornbread.

Some of us kids would roll our eyes with wonder sometimes; wondering  if cornbread and beans was going to be our diet for ever, although never so that Mother or Daddy could see us.

Something must have sunk in my head from all this,because I often find myself calling up remembrances of those meals from our childhood.

After all those years of eating cornbread and beans, believe it or not, I still love em.

My wife Darlene fixes us some quite often. 



She's  pretty good at making  the both of them herself, I often kid her that, she must have learned from my mother.

Until next time, God Bless.

Coleman Schell

 



No comments:

Post a Comment