Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Clean Slate




Being the second eldest of 10 children, naturally I was the second one to start  school, my memories are somewhat dimmed of that time, but  I can still remember some of it pretty well.

The name of our school was "Union" a one room school,  our teacher  taught  first grade through eighth, a little different than the school system today.

One of my vivid  memories of this school, was the black board, that hang on its back wall , this board was our teachers resource for communicating with us.

At the end of our assignments, she would ask for a volunteer to erase the board, when it was wiped clean, it was as if nothing at all had ever been written on it.

Which reminds me of what God does for us when we come to Him, confessing our sin and trusting Christ as our Saviour, the slate is wiped clean.

 First John 1:9  "If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to for give us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness."

I was privileged to erase the black board clean in our school, but I can't do the same thing for anyone's life, only God can do that. 

A lot of water has run under the bridge since those early days of school, I don't know if our teacher Nelly Gilbert is still living or not, or how many class mates are left.

Today as I look back on those early years of my life, I'm amazed  how much they played a part in helping mold my life into what it is today.

And I am grateful to our teacher, and the ole blackboard assignments, she posted and erased.

 It may have been a crud way of teaching some may say, but never the less.

The, system worked, maybe as good as some of the teaching,  we have today.


Coleman Schell

No comments:

Post a Comment