Monday, June 9, 2014

A Wonderful Father





A young person asked me the other day, 'What was your favorite fast food when you were growing up?'

'We didn't have fast food when I was growing up,' I informed him. 'All the food was slow
.

'C'mon, seriously. Where did you eat?'

'It was a place called 'at home,' I explained. 'Mother cooked every day and when Dad and the family finished their day of work on the farm, we sat down together at the table, and if you didn't like what Mother put on the table for dinner, you was allowed to sit there until you did like it.'


Father always made sure we had something to eat; might not be exactly what you wanted or expected, but dealing with that issue was your problem.

An humble man he was  for sure ,one who loved his family  very much and would do anything to protect them and provide for them .

I remember him as someone who would take time out from his busy schedule for a father son project.

 Once he taught, me how to make a wind-mill, and that meant so much to me,I was so excited I could hardly wait for us to finish the project and  to see if it would really turn with the wind as he said it would.

Other times we went fishing, did some rock hunting, planted a garden,  went horse back riding, walked to the country store, mended fences, milked the cows and many other things common to farm life.

The last day I got to spend time with him, was just before he went home to be with the Lord, it was his father sons event, we called deer hunting, a family tradition that Dad started when we were youngsters.

I certainly miss the slow cooked meals, the times dad spent with us as a family and the one on one times he some how squeezed in just for me.

Happy Father's day Dad, I am grateful for your love and  strong leadership you gave and  the many memories you left behind .

Blessings to all our Fathers and family's out there as you celebrate this special day. May your memories  be good and special to you as well.


Coleman Schell















No comments:

Post a Comment